Director of Finance
Jobs at:Heifer International
Deadline of this Job:
28 July 2021
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Accounting and Finance Abuja, Nigeria
The Director of Finance – Africa will be accountable to provide strategic and analytical leadership in the development of a cohesive, financial monitoring function within the country program. Upgrading of current tools and practices to meet the increasing requirements of a highly competitive donor environment. This position is accountable for the adoption of methods and best-practices in grant compliance and financial management and systems development, further strengthening stakeholder confidence in the Heifer Country Office’s oversight management functions. The Director of Finance-Africa will enhance and protect the Heifer Country Office's value by providing advice and insight in accordance with Heifer’s internal policies and procedures. This position assesses internal controls over key financial activities and reporting and compliance functions, with coverage ranging from assessments to compliance reviews and leads supports of pre- and post-award finance and accounting activities. This position serves as the liaison between various US Headquarters departments on related matters (i.e., Global Finance Operations, Enterprise Accounting, Legal, etc.)
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Financial acumen; manages complexity; decision quality; directs work; plans and aligns; optimizes work processes; ensures accountability; collaborates; builds effective teams; communicates effectively; organizational savvy; courage; and instills trust.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Coordinate with Programs in pre-award grant proposal development, review, and negotiation. Provide leadership on post-award financial and accounting management to ensure compliance with donor agreements. (50%)
• Lead proposal budget review and/or preparation.
• Ensure coordination and monitoring of project burn-rates.
• Monitor compliance with grant agreements.
• Monitor and/or prepare accurate and timely donor reporting, dashboards, and other key donor deliverables.
• Provide Programs with input on key financial aspects of programs/projects.
• Ensure preparation and maintenance of accurate and timely periodic reporting, dashboards, and other key deliverables to senior management.
• Coordinate key processes for project budgeting and forecasting among the Headquarters and Country program teams; ensure cashflows are managed efficiently.
• Ensure tight monitoring of donor agreement reporting dates and respond to compliance inquiries related to donor request are in place and functioning
B. Ensure regulatory and organizational compliance of financial activities are in place within the country program offices and support global consolidation of financial statements. (45%)
• Continuously monitor and assess the adequacy of country systems and procedures for transparent accounting, financial management and reporting.
• Coordinate and/or perform internal reviews to eliminate or reduce fraud opportunities, performing assurance and monitoring procedures.
• Coordinate external audits, incorporating results into short-range annual work plans and long-range global improvement plans.
• Partner with Headquarters in the periodic close, ensuring accurate and timely financial statements for global consolidation.
• Guide implementation and institutionalization of Heifer’s enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, including capturing and sharing of best practices for cross-area replication and support.
• Facilitate independent external audits and other agreed-upon procedures, including auditor scheduling and communications, financial information requests, internal control questionnaires, and follow-up.
C. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Management Accounting, Business Administration, or related field, plus ten (10) years of related experience and two (2) years in a supervisory role or master’s degree in Accounting, Management Accounting, Business Administration or related field, plus eight (8) years of related experience and two (2) years in a supervisory role.
• Experience in a donor-funded international development environment with compliance requirements of the U.S. government and institutional funders for international development, such USAID, EU, IFAD, DFID, mega-foundations, and others. Project management experience, with project management certification a plus.
Most Critical Proficiencies
• Knowledge of the NGO business sector, including compliance requirements of the government; Knowledge of institutional funders for international development, a plus.
• Knowledge of operating in a multi-currency environment.
• Ability to navigate financial and non-financial data gathering and analytics; technically adept with ability to quickly learn and maximize usage of technology and software; effective use of Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate skill in MS Excel.
• Effective communicator and influencer with the ability to clearly convey complex financial issues in a clear format for non-finance professions across various levels of the organization, motivating continuous and collaborative improvement.
• Proficient in the local country generally accepted accounting principles, fiscal statutes, and payroll management statutes.
• Experience with accounting systems and systems conversions.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
• Ability to work under pressure, perform multiple tasks and manage consistently competing priorities, comfortable in rapidly changing environment. Must be flexible and able to improvise to handle a variety of situations.
• Ability to effectively mentor and train individuals and teams using participatory methodologies. Strong facilitation skills preferred.
• Ability to work with delicate personnel situations and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to maintain close relationships and work with team members from a distance and with limited opportunity for personal interaction.
• Constant sitting and working at a computer for extended periods of time.
• Constant face-to-face, electronic, and telephone communication with colleagues at different levels of the organization and the general public.
• Ability to prepare documents and other materials in a well-designed and attractive format, with attention to detail
• Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
• Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
• The adequate physical condition necessary to travel to project sites in rural areas.
• Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Use the link below to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.