Finance and Compliance Officer
Jobs at:Mercy Corps
Deadline of this Job:
22 July 2021
Date Posted: Friday, July 09, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Requisition Number: FINAN01772
Location Bama, Nigeria
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Deputy Finance Manager, the Finance Officer will assist in the accounting and documentation of all financial transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Assist in the financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders and payment requests to ensure compliance with MC policies and procedures and project budgets.
• Assist in the preparation of the monthly cash flow projections
• Maintain the cash and bank files, ensuring that all cash and bank information is properly filed and updated
• Record all main office bank and cash transactions on daily basis.
• Ensure all outstanding advances cleared on time.
• Ensure all financial documents are achieved properly.
• Ensure the petty cash count performed on time.
• Work closely with the Senior Finance Officer and Filed Finance Manager to ensure the monthly finance packed prepared and archived probably.
• Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filled in according to MC procedures.
• Prepare the monthly bank reconciliations
• Assist HR and ensure all the timesheets are accurate before final submission.
• Prepare the allocation journal entries (clearing of pool accounts)
• Assist with month-end balance sheet account reconciliations
• Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
• Assist the Field Finance Manager to enhance the efficient of existing control system and ensure any identified compliance gap is corrected.
• Assist in reviewing monthly financial reports and follow up with other departments for any corrective actions required.
• Set up and maintain filing systems of all protocols and important documents for the project.
• Assist in monitor and follow up with any compliance issue when arising.
• Track and ensure all compliance documents such handover note, distribution list, and attendance sheet is collected and verified.
• Conduct technical review for the project side.
• Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded
• Assist in the training and support staff in the field office including answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc.
• Conduct monitoring plan to lessen financial and compliance risks at beneficiary sites.
• Work closely with the voucher Officer in Maiduguri in setting up the voucher system.
• Track and ensure all compliance to voucher programming SoP’s.
• Work closely with the Field Finance Manager and other department to ensure the Standard Operating Procedures for voucher redemption followed properly.
• Release and track voucher cards.
• Ensure distribution lists for un-conditional cash transfers and cash grants are verified, reconciled and archived properly.
• Ensure vendor reconciliation is done
• Conduct compliance orientation trainings for the staff and vendors of food vouchers.
Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
• Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
• to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
• Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Supervisory Responsibility –
Reports Directly To: Deputy Finance Manager - MDG
Works Directly With: All operational and program team of MC North-East.
Knowledge and Experience
• Three or more years of finance experience, including budgeting and grant management or auditing.
• A university degree in finance, accounting or a related business field is required.
• Two years experience in the Finance Department of a non-governmental organization.
• Good understanding of major international donor rules and non-profit accounting.
• Prior experience with computerized general ledger software.
• Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and Access.
• Strong analytical skills coupled with a solid understanding of financial and procurement systems; Prior auditing experience is considered a plus.
• Excellent oral and written English skills.
The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Use the link below to apply.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.